Firstly, as of this posting (2/22/13) all of Southwestern Montana’s snow pack numbers are looking great. Most drainage’s are at 100% or above average.
- The main river is clear of ice all the way to Ennis lake however the boat ramp in Ennis is closed for repairs due to the ice.
- Fishing in the wade only sections from Reynold’s Bridge to Three Dollar Bridge fishing is good.
- The boat ramp’s at Eight Mile and Burnt Tree are clear so drift fishing is a go from Mcatee Bridge down.
- Nymphing with rubberleg stonefly patterns sizes #6 to #10 in black or brown are solid as a first fly, try trailing a Prince, San Juan worm, Shop Vac, or Pheasant tail sizes #14 to #18. Try a black or red Crystal Serendipity #16 or #18.
- Streamer bite is starting to warm up, try an olive Sculpin or a Zonker.
- Look for fish sipping midges in the afternoons and the slicks behind boulders and in front of large diversions. Try a Griffith’s Gnat with size#18 Beadhead Zebra Midge tied 8″ to 10″ from your dry fly.