- Maiden Rock 887 cfs
- Melrose 943 cfs
- Glen 1,110 cfs
- Clear at 4+ feet
The Big Hole River has been dropping every day after a slight bump in the middle of the month, and although flows are dropping , the Big Hole River continues to fish well. Target fast water in the riffles, and tailouts. Get on the river early in the morning when air and water temperature’s are much cooler before mid-day temperatures reach 90+.
TACTICS & PATTERNS:
The dry fly fishing has been good as well as dry/dropper. We’re seeing Tricos on in the lower river; PMDs and Yellow Sallie’s are hatching along the rest of the river.
- Parachute Adams, Purple Haze, or Rusty Sparkle Dun Sizes #16-14 for PMDs. For the Yellow Sallies, Yellow Stimulator’s, Yellow or olive PMX’s, CDC Yellow Sallie size #14-18.
- Good dropper choices are Beadhead Pheasant Tail, Copper John or Beadhead Prince, Psycho Mayfly nympyhs | Sizes #16-12
The streamer fishing has been solid even with the river dropping and very clear. I like a dead drift under an indicator, but a tight line will catch fish as well. Natural color’s and muted when it’s clearer. Cloudy days will be your best bet for good streamer action.
- Coffey’s Sparkle Minnow’s, Zonker’s in Olive, Natural/Copper, Natural/pearl or white size # 2-6, Black, Brown or Olive Crystal Bugger, or Olive or Brown Yuk Bugs in size # 4-8.
- If the fish aren’t willing to make chase try dead drifting your streamer under an indicator.
- Add a nymph bead head dropper to give the trout an option.
Nymphing with two nymph’s and strike indicator is still very productive in the fast water. Letting your flies swing at the end of your dead drift sometimes brings more strikes than dead drift alone.
- Try a Pat’s Rubber Leg Stone in brown, tan, black or olive. Peacock Stone, George’s Rubber Leg Brown Stone, Chocolate Trout Retriever or Pepperoni Yuk Bug in size # 4-6.
- Pheasant Tails, Soft Hackle Pheasant Tails, Prince Nymphs, San Juan Worms in red, wine or size # 6-10 are all good second fly choices for nymphing.
TIPS: Bring plenty of sun block, water and bug dope.