22 Feb Madison River Fishing Report 2/22/13
Firstly, as of this posting (2/22/13) all of Southwestern Montana’s snow pack numbers are looking great. Most drainage’s are at 100% or above average.
|February Montana Snowpack Falls Slightly from Last Month
Bozeman–Snowpack finished January down slightly, 96 percent of median compared to 103 percent of median on Jan. 1, according to snow survey data from the USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS).
- The main river is clear of ice all the way to Ennis lake however the boat ramp in Ennis is closed for repairs due to the ice.
- Fishing in the wade only sections from Reynold’s Bridge to Three Dollar Bridge fishing is good.
- The boat ramp’s at Eight Mile and Burnt Tree are clear so drift fishing is a go from Mcatee Bridge down.
- Nymphing with rubberleg stonefly patterns sizes #6 to #10 in black or brown are solid as a first fly, try trailing a Prince, San Juan worm, Shop Vac, or Pheasant tail sizes #14 to #18. Try a black or red Crystal Serendipity #16 or #18.
- Streamer bite is starting to warm up, try an olive Sculpin or a Zonker.
- Look for fish sipping midges in the afternoons and the slicks behind boulders and in front of large diversions. Try a Griffith’s Gnat with size#18 Beadhead Zebra Midge tied 8″ to 10″ from your dry fly.