22 Feb Big Hole River Fishing Report 2/22/13
Firstly, as of this posting (2/22/13) all of Southwestern Montana’s snow pack numbers are looking great. Most drainage’s are at 100% or above average.
|February Montana Snowpack Falls Slightly from Last Month
Bozeman–Snowpack finished January down slightly, 96 percent of median compared to 103 percent of median on Jan. 1, according to snow survey data from the USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS).
- The Big Hole is open from Melrose up, starting to open below Brown’s Bridge.
- Rubberleg stonefly patterns in sizes #6-#10 in black brown or olive. Try a Whitlock’s Red Fox Squirrel Nymph in a size #6 or #8.
- San Juan worms and egg patterns are solid producers along with the old standard Prince Nymph in a size #10 or #12.
- Fish rising to midges in the afternoons , try a Griffith’s gnat or a purple haze.
- Watch your step, wear cleats if you have them and look out for redd’s.